"I am afraid to note that you did not explain why it was a waste of time, how Sherlock is doing a Doctor Who (he isn't), how Watson is an afterthought (hello? Key to the plot? Solves several cases alongside Sherlock?) and how Conan Doyle would be ashamed.
A ridiculous review. Please explain your views, rather than just assert a few select words as though they are exerpts from 'The Truth - My Book'."
This is a comment on a review of Sherlock (BBC), on amazon.co.uk. Now, usually, I read the reviews on products sold by Amazon, and guage whether it would be worth my while and money buying whatever I am looking at.
Now, my purchase of the Sherlock DVD was and is undisputed, so really, reading the reviews was totally unnecessary. Still, I find the 1 star reviews highly amusing sometimes. The review to which the aforementioned comment was posted to, slated the BBC One series, declaring that "Conan Doyle would of hung his head in shame".
I was hooked from the first episode of the series, and I, along with my sister and many others, I'm sure, cried out in longing as the third and final episode ended with that fantastically girpping cliff-hanger. I give the series a glowing review, and personally, I don't think even five stars would satisfy the brilliance of the acting and plot-writing.
The acting in the series was perfect. I think that the part of Sherlock Holmes (portrayed by the rather handsome and dashing Benedict Cumberbatch) was superbly cast, and the chemistry between he and his faithful assistant Dr. John Watson (played by Martin Freeman on top form) contributes massively to the success of the series.
The writers were successful in modernising an old classic, and in so doing have created something that has been a massive hit. I think the fact that they have addressed modern things such as war, drugs busts, and Sherlock's ever-trusty Blackberry is very good indeed.
I love how they have written the character of Sherlock, and I think that Cumberbatch plays it with absolute precision. He comes out with some amazing one-liners, and his portrayal seems to fit, with no hint of falseness.
The quoted comment made me smile, as it attacks almost every part of the reviews points with perfectly accurate ones of its own. The subtle sarcasm of the comment, I felt, was brilliant, and to be honest, it sounded like something I would've had said myself.
I shall be purchasing my copy of Sherlock as soon as possible, and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the sequential series.
No comments:
Post a Comment